• 4 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 fennel bulb, (trimmed and chopped)
• ¾ cup diced celery
• ½ cup diced carrots
• 4 garlic cloves, (minced)
• 1 cup diced red potatoes
• 2½ cups diced fresh tomatoes, (peeled)
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ teaspoon saffron threads
• 3 thyme sprigs
• 4 cups fish, chicken, or vegetable stock
• 1¼ pound chopped boneless fish, (such as cod, halibut, red snapper, or sea bass), cut into 2-inch pieces
• 15 shrimps
• ½ pound mussels
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, celery, carrot, potato, and fennel for 8 minutes.
Add garlic, chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and saffron. Cook and keep stirring for 8 minutes.
Add the broth and bring to a boil until it is thickened a bit and until the potatoes are almost tender.
Add the fish then lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add shellfish, simmer gently, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or longer until they are fully cooked. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper if needed.