Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
• 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
• 5 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1-1/2 cups whole milk
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 ounces Velveeta, American, or Swiss(cut up/shredded)
• 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook macaroni until al dente, meaning until it is still a bit firm and not completely cooked, approx. 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly pour in milk. Stir and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute longer or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted.
2. Drain macaroni and pour into a large bowl. Add in cheese sauce and mix until incorporated.
2. Transfer macaroni to a greased 8x8 baking pan. Smooth top of macaroni with a spatula. Melt remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.